I've written about my great-grandmother, Annie Schwietering Ortmann, here and here . Today, I've been working on my book (German research for newbies, essentially), and I did an exhaustive search on the Big Three (Ancestry, MyHeritage, and Family Search) for the Ortmann family. I found some interesting things. First, we know that as researchers, we have to deal with variations in spelling. If your ancestor is named Smith or Jones, this might not be much of an issue. But if your great-grandmother's name was Schwietering, well, here are the variations I've found so far: Annie Sweder Schiewfering Schwictering Schnrifering Schwieterina Schueitering Schweitering If I'm being very conscientious, I'll search for all of these variations any time I search for Annie. Can you say "tedious"? More important is that in my searches, I found birth and/or death records for Joseph Ortmann and Annie's children. Indulge me while I present you with a list: Anna, ...
Comments
Post a Comment